|About Us||Our History||Our Services|
Frank Goodden relocated from Springfield, Illinois to Kansas City where he met and married his wife Della Kendall. At this time he began following in his father's footsteps, taking classes in watch repair and engraving. At night he would teach his wife everything that he learned, so that she could pick up the same trade.
Frank enlisted in the army during World War II, serving as an engraver while Della remained in Kansas City engraving identification bracelets for Meyer Jewelers. After the war, armed with a few jewelry jobs, and $75 in their pocket, Frank and Della decided to open their own business. In 1946, they opened an engraving store in a tiny room in the Chambers Building on 12th and Walnut in downtown Kansas City.
They specialized in engraving compacts, cigarette cases, lighters, and trophies. Della continued to learn the business from Frank and would practice every night. Needing more room for expansion, in 1948 they moved Frank Goodden Co., Inc. to the Shukert Building on 12th and Grand. At that location they grew into jewelry repair, wholesale silverware and of course, engraving. Growth created the need for yet another move to the Mason Building. From there they went to the Bryant Building until 2004, moving to 10th & Baltimore in the Library Lofts Building, and then 11th & Baltimore until 2017.
Frank handed the reins over to Rick and Elizabeth, but continued to work until the day he died in 1994. Della remained actively involved in the business. She was quite famous for her gift wrapping and created custom bows for the store when she retired. Della passed away in 2009 and is sorely missed.
Rick and Elizabeth carry on the traditions of excellent quality of product and service at their new location at 10th & Grand.